At Cobden Primary School we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for our whole school community irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background.
Our aim is to foster a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to school are able to participate fully in school life.
We will train and develop staff and governor awareness of EDI through staff meetings and governor committees.
We will tackle discrimination by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating an environment which celebrates diversity and promotes respect for all.
We provide all our pupils opportunities to succeed and to reach their full potential by:
- Ensuring all pupils have fair access to the curriculum through appropriate and inclusive teaching.
- Using curriculum materials that are relevant and reflect the diversity of the school, population and local community without stereotyping.
- Developing pupils’ understanding of the world through a rich range of experience, both in and beyond the school which challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice.
- Providing opportunities for pupils to share and celebrate their culture and identity and to recognise and value the contribution that they bring to school.
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and support pupils with additional needs to access learning.
- Ensuring all pupils have the opportunity to engage and fully participate in school life.
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice.
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education.
Objective 1 – To tackle prejudice and promote an understanding in relation to people with disabilities and those of different races, beliefs or religions, sexual orientation or gender.
Objective 2 – Narrow Attendance and Punctuality gap between disadvantaged and non-disadvantaged pupils.
Objective 3 – To raise awareness of barriers to learning for children of families in poverty for all staff and governors; to review and adapt provision appropriately.
Objective 4 – To develop a SEMH provision which provides opportunities for all children to thrive.